Water is the very essence of life. It keeps us alive, an integral part of cooking, and makes up most of who we are. While the human body can last weeks without food, water is a necessity for survival. Following a disaster, clean drinking water may not be available. Your regular water source could be cut off or compromised through contamination. Having a proper form of access to clean drinking water can provide health, safety, and convenience when in an emergency, such as earthquakes, or a disaster. Prepare yourself by building a supply of water that will meet your family's need during an emergency.
WHY WATER STORAGE
Water is essential to survival, as it is used not only for hydration, but also for personal hygiene, cooking, and cleaning. Government studies recommend a minimum of four litres of water per person per day--for drinking, food preparation, personal hygiene, and dishwashing. When disasters such as an earthquake strikes, access to clean drinking water may be interrupted for an undetermined amount of time. In the event of a disaster or emergency, having a safe and accessible form of water storage can allow you to survive.
WATER STORAGE FAST FACTS
- You should treat all water of uncertain purity before using it for drinking, food preparation or hygiene In terms of basic survival, water will keep you alive longer than food
- While you can survive without food for 14+ days, you can only go about 3 days without water.
- Active adults need a minimum of 4L of drinking water per day
- Find a way to store enough clean water for you and your family for the long-term, with 2+ methods to purify and/or filter water in case your supply becomes contaminated
- Always have emergency water ready to carry with you, should you need to evacuate.
U.S. Coast Guard approved DATREX Emergency Water Rations are the perfect water companion item to any survival kit. Individually packaged with materials designed for optimum durability and no oxygen transfer, Datrex Emergency Water Rations can withstand temperatures ranging from 40°C to 99°C without bursting. With a shelf life of 5-years, Datrex Emergency Water Rations are best used for home, business, outdoor, marine, or emergency preparedness.
We offer different methods to purify and filter water such as:
- Boiling Water: We offer portable stoves to help you purify water as an alternative to chemical treatment
- Chemical Water purification/treatment options such as Aquatabs Water Purification Tablets that are effective at killing microorganisms
- Water Filters: Microfilters such as the Berkey Water System provides an innovative gravity filtration process to remove microorganisms
Having access to clean drinking water can be achieved through the use of water filtration processes such as Berkey Water Systems or LifeStraw. These filtration systems are effective and efficient in purifying and filtering water sources, especially if you can't have permanent water storage because of limited space. At 72HOURS, we offer advanced technological water filtration systems from Berkey and chemical water purification/treatment options such as Aquatabs Water Purification Tablets.