How To Wear A Facemask
A face mask is a contraption used to avert the transmission of disease; they may also be called laser, surgical, dental, or isolation masks. Face masks are easy-fitting masks that shield the nose and mouth and have ear bands at the back of the head. There are numerous varied brands in different shades and colors. It is important to use a face mask that is FDA approved. Face masks help to curtail the transmission of germs. During a conversation or an individual sneezes or coughs, there is a high tendency of the release of tiny droplets into the air which can infect other people.
When a sick individual makes use of face masks, this will limit to the barest minimum the number of microbes that the sick person releases and will safeguard other people from falling sick. A face mask also safeguards the nose and mouth of the individual wearing it from squirt or splatter of body fluids. It is pertinent to wear a face mask when you are down with a cough or cold whether you feel feverish or not because it is expected that you will relate with people and you do not want to expose them to the microbes too. In other words, the face mask will assist in safeguarding them from getting infected. There are set guidelines by healthcare providers for when face masks should be worn and the quality of face masks that do the job of shielding the wearer and those he or she comes in contact with.
Putting on a mask in public assists in averting the transmission of COVID-19; however, this depends on it being worn correctly by ensuring that your nose and mouth are covered. Wearing of face masks might seem so simple but you might be going about it the wrong way. Worse still, you might be exposing yourself unknowingly to getting the virus. There are standard ways to wear face masks but it just means that you will have to pay attention to detail. Disposable face masks are being used once and then disposed of in the bin. You must remove and replace masks when they become damp. Make sure you follow product directives on storage and use of the mask, and also the methods of wearing and taking off a mask at all times. Just in case the directives for wearing and putting off the mask are not readily available, then follow the steps below.
How to wear a face mask
- Wash your hands with soap and water or rub on hand sanitizer before handling the mask.
- Next is for you to inspect the general condition of the mask to ensure that there are no holes or torn parts on either side of the mask.
- Check to decide the top side of the mask. You must know that the side of the mask with a stiff pliable edge is the top and it is crafted that way so it can take the shape of your nose.
- Also, check out for which part of the mask is the front. Oftentimes, the colored side of the mask is the front and must face outward, while the white side is the part that touches your face.
Adhere to the directives below depending on the type of mask you have.
- a) Face Mask using bands: With the mask in your hand ensure you hold the top of the mask at fingertips, which invariably gives room for the headbands to hang freely. Carefully, bring the mask to the level of your nose and drag the top cord over your head so it rests over the brink of your head; then tug the bottom cord over your head in such a way that so it rests at the base of your neck. After which you tweak at the stiff rim to shape out your nose.
- b) Face Mask using ties: Place at the mask to the level of your nose then put the ties over the brink of your head and firmly tie in a bow.Then hold the ties at the bottom, one in each hand, and tie firmly also in a bow at the base of your neck. Finally, pull the base of the mask over your nose, and mouth.
- c) Face Mask using ear loops: Simply take hold of the mask by the loops, and then hang a loop around each ear.
Ensure the mask is not loose
The mask must not be too loose, especially at the sides. It should be fitted in a way that gives you enough room to breathe. It is very wrong to place your masks beneath your nose, that way the mask is not doing any form of protection. The mask must be placed over the nose and mouth.
Put on a mask when going in close contact with anyone.
The highest risks lie in social interaction especially with people indoors. It is not advisable to spend almost thirty minutes or more with a person without having a mask on and not observing social distancing rule.
Ensure not to touch the mask’s exterior.
Assuming a microbe about reaching you was blocked by your mask from getting to your nose or mouth; this automatically means the microbe must have landed on the exterior of your mask. If you or any other person touch the exterior of the mask, the microbe will get on the hands and could be transferred onto whoever or whatever is touched
Put on a mask when outdoors
The essence of the mask is essential to avert others from the individual wearing it peradventure he or she might be infected and does not know. However, since the mask is on the individual when such a person coughs, the mask catches the respiratory droplets.
Conclusively ensure you use the side loops or cords of the face mask, do not tamper with it when wearing it or putting it off; so you do not end up carelessly inhaling the microbe after touching the inner parts of your face mask.